Monday, October 11, 2010

Ski trip report

I'm still in catch-up mode with my blog so here I am letting you guys know what I have been doing over recent months.

In August I was lucky enough to get an invite along for a family ski week. Our destination was Whakapapa ski-field on Mt Ruapehu (see for more info).

We left Wellington late morning on a Sunday and headed off. The car was packed to the brim - all the essentials - ski gear, food, wine. Luckily we were in a 4-wheel-drive so no worries about having to carry chains to get us up the mountain.

After a fairly slow trip with lots of stops (amazing how often kids need to pee!) we got up to the carpark at Top of the Bruce just as daylight was fading. I'd read up on how long the walk was to the lodge we were staying in and figured it was a half hour walk at the most - how hard could that be? Well! The snow conditions on the mountain were not great so most of the walk was over rocks and dirt. When we did get to snow in the valleys the result tended to be sinking straight through the snow. I soon realised that a heavy pack plus another bag in each hand was not such a good idea. At least it was a clear, calm night. At the point where we had one last climb to get to the hut I started to seriously flag. The others said they would go on up to the hut and then come back and help me with my bags. I figured I didn't want to seem like the weak female (only female) in the group so thought I would carry on and see how far I could get. Within a few paces I had suck up to my hips in snow and fallen onto my back. Yeah yeah. I know. I bet that conjures up some amusing images. To be honest, I lay there looking up at the stars giggling and wondering what to do next. With the weight of my pack I couldn't stand up so had to release my pack to be able to do anything. At this stage all heroics exited and I carried my various bags to a handy rock and sat and enjoyed the night sky until assistance arrived. Of course it was short climb to the hut (when I wasn't carrying so much weight).

It was divine to walk into the warmth and know that all physical activity had finished for the day. A bit of unpacking took place and then it was time for a glass of wine. Yes, yes - some of the weight in my bag was from the wine. Stupid woman that I am. :)

And so the ski week started. The weather wasn't terrific but it did snow and snow and snow. Each day we would walk down to the car to pick up supplies (mostly wine) and there were not a lot of rocks to clamber over and around. The car was pretty snowed in when it came time to leave.

We had a couple of fantastic skiing days - of course the best day was the day we had to leave and head for home. Isn't that always the way!

I hadn't been skiing for over 20 years but it didn't take long for my un-sophisticated style of years gone by to reappear. I had a ball!

The evenings in the lodge were fun - great food (roast meals, etc), good company and the obligatory wine(s) (oh, and whiskey!). The kids had a wonderful time. In the lodge there were over 20 people staying each night with a pretty even split between kids and adults. We had fun building a snow cave, chucking snowballs around and tobogganing. Sigh. Wish I was there now. Here are some pics for you to enjoy.

This is the lodge we stayed in. It belongs to the Hutt Valley Tramping Club (

This was taken a little uphill from the lodge and looking up the skifield. Still not great snow coverage but enough to have some fun.

This photo was taken when it started snowing the second night we were there. The kids were pretty excited and apparently running around in the snow with no long sleeves wasn't a problem.


  1. Looks like you had lots of fun!

  2. Great photos, what a wonderful time you had. Super thanks for sharing,