Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hot yoga!

I've done a tiny bit of yoga before but never really got into it in a big way. The other exercise I am doing at the moment (spin classes, running and weights) is great for my fitness and strength but doesn't do a lot for flexibility. There is a hot yoga place just around the corner from where I am working currently. I picked up a brochure a while back but finally went along to a class last night with a work colleague. All I knew about it was that it was yoga in a hot room and that the class would last an hour and a half.

According to the website (www.hotyoganz.com) the room is heated to prevent injury, warm the muscles and allow for a deeper release within the body. The room was certainly very warm with the temperature in the high thirties. The heat reminded me of holidays in Australia and lying on the beach at Port Douglas - yum!

Anyway, the class itself was interesting - parts of it were physically very hard and hurt (to be expected considering I am new to yoga) while others were supremely relaxing. One thing is for certain - you sweat! A lot! But that's ok - everyone in the class sweats buckets too.

They suggest you hydrate yourself before and after the class as well as take in some water during the class. You don't need any specific gear - they hire out mats and towels. I would certainly advise not wearing heavy clothing - singlet top and tights / shorts of some sort is all that's needed.

The leader of the class was really helpful and options were provided throughout the class to make the movements harder or easier depending on your skill level.

After the class finished and I had showered I headed for home - was hugely hungry! I could have eaten a horse!

I have decided to stick with it and attend a weekly class. Have a look at the website mentioned above for more information. There are actually two hot yoga places here in Wellington - both on Tory Street.

1 comment:

  1. Robine tried it too. You should compare notes with her, I think her timetable meant she couldn't continue. Random.

    ReplyDelete